What will I experience in the Living Room?
The Living Room will include:
- An inviting, home-like environment;
- Comfortable group rooms;
- An open kitchen with a dining table;
- An open living room area that includes spaces designed for talking, reading, listening to music, using a computer, meditating, and smaller group activities;
- A resource area for learning about local community resources and services (related to a variety of topics); and
- Opportunities for group activities and self-study or one to one conversation.
Living Room Goals
Safe Environment – Provide a safe environment in which individuals practice respect for each person’s recovery journey.
Self Advocacy – Empower individuals to engage in and guide personal recovery through effective self-advocacy.
Promote Resiliency – Promote resiliency by celebrating individuals’ unique strengths and experiences.
Who will I meet in the Living Room?
You will meet others who are engaged in their own recovery journeys in the Living Room. In addition, you will meet RHA’s Certified Peer Support Specialists (CPSS) who will work in the Living Room during operating hours. They will facilitate group activities, as well the comings and goings of the Living Room. CPSSs will also be available to meet individually with participants.
Who will be invited to use the Living Room?
Individuals who want to engage with peers as part of their recovery journeys related to mental health, substance use, and co-occurring intellectual and developmental disability needs.
What types of wellness activities will be offered?
The Living Room wellness activity program will be developed to meet the needs of the individuals served and promote a holistic approach to recovery. Activities may include:
- Wellness Recovery Action Plan®
- Whole Health Resiliency Model
- Community Resiliency Model
- Budgeting and financial planning
- Nutrition and exercise
- Community resources
- Increasing coping skills
- Stress reduction
- Mapping emotions
- Advocating within systems
- Creative writing
- Arts expression
- Music for your mood
- Monthly social events, such as watching a movie, watching a sports game, cookouts, etc.